The Affordable Care Act is a milestone on the journey of healthcare reform. With no Medicaid expansion in Pennsylvania it is estimated that a half a million individuals will remain uninsured and need access to a quality-focused medical home. CVIM remains committed to being the Safety Net provider of medical and dental care to the most vulnerable in Chester County.
- Even with the implementation of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) the problem of the uninsured is not solved and is not going to go away. CVIM has long been an advocate for our patients ‘graduating’ from using our clinic to being able to afford their own healthcare insurance. It is our hope that some will be able to take advantage of the plans offered by the ACA.
- While our federal and state legislators are working on expansion of health insurance coverage, what we hear from our patients is worry that “affordable” may not be realistic to them while they struggle to put a roof over their head, food on the table, and gas in the car in order to keep their job.
- The Affordable Care Act does not address the health crisis caused by the lack of coverage and access to dental care. Poor oral health is linked to several chronic diseases including diabetes, heart disease and stroke, yet it remains one of the most preventable forms of disease. CVIM handles daily dental emergencies helping to keep people out of emergency rooms, which is their only option for a dental crisis.
- One of the greatest challenges to CVIM is that our donors and community partners understand we do not anticipate a reduction in the record number of patients we serve or the services we provide. All generous support on the behalf of CVIM patients continues to be desperately needed.
- CVIM is committed to evolving as the needs of our patients change and our community responds to the changing healthcare environment.